LIMIS portal is a public data catalogue that uses and makes it public the data stored at the LIMIS central database; it provides information about cultural heritage valuables that are being preserved at Lithuanian museums and managed with the help automated stocktaking system. The information on the portal is accessible through various channels and means, which makes it possible to connect to the common LIMIS portal as well as each museum's electronic catalogue. The portal provides external LIMIS users with the following services: search and presentation of data, surfing inner pages, etc.
The main function of the portal is to share digital images of museum exhibits, their audio and video files, as well as files on meta-data. Managing Lithuanian museums' data held on LIMIS-C database, the portal provides public access to them through an electronic catalogue both integrally on the common domain, and on each museum's sub-domain. The information on the electronic catalogue is provided on three levels, i.e. for external users, registered users, and institutions; it consists of different content:
- Information for external users that is public and open-access;
- Extensive information for registered users (researchers, etc.), i.e. more detailed meta-data and digital images of higher quality;
- Even more extensive information for the museums and state institutions specialists.
The portal aims at:
- contributing to the development of information society;
- enriching the extent of electronic service supply;
- opening up more opportunities to get information about the valuables preserved at Lithuanian museums;
- improving society's electronic literacy skills;
- strengthening the relation between a museum and the society;
- promoting activities of researchers and scientists;
- integrating LIMIS content into other Lithuanian and international cultural heritage systems thus ensuring spread of information and the representation of national heritage to the world community;
- actively stimulating teaching and learning processes with its contents;
- increasing the availability of museum exhibits through public access.
Updated on 02/12/19