The ‘Virtual Museum' project for developing and modernising the Lithuanian Integral Museum Information System (LIMIS) and introducing new electronic services.
On July 10, 2018, the Lithuanian Art Museum and public institution Central Project Management Agency signed an administration and financing agreement regarding the development and modernisation of the Lithuanian Integral Museum Information System (LIMIS) and introducing the new ‘Virtual Museum' electronic services, (project no. 02.3.1-CPVA-V-526-01-0004). The project is implemented under the measure 02.3.1-CPVA-V-526 ‘Digitization and Dissemination of Cultural Content' of Priority 2 ‘Promotion of the Information Society' of the European Union Funds Operational Programme for the period 2014-2020.
The aim of the project is to modernise the Lithuanian Integral Museum Information System (LIMIS), and adapt it to the contemporary needs of museums and the public, the provision of advanced electronic services, the proper visualisation of digital content about objects of cultural heritage compiled in the database, accessibility on the Internet and the strengthening of the material base for digitisation available to the participants of the Project.
In pursuit of the main goal of the ‘Virtual Museum‘ project to develop and modernise the Lithuanian Integral Museum Information System (LIMIS), to introduce new electronic services and fulfil key challenges, the objectives expected to be achieved are as follow:
1. To modernise LIMIS, adapting it to the contemporary needs of museums and society, the provision of advanced electronic services, the proper visualisation of digital content about cultural heritage compiled on the LIMIS database, accessibility on the Internet;
2. To create 10 new generation advanced electronic services, to integrate them into LIMIS and to start offering them to the public;
3. To modernise the previous LIMIS ‘E-guide' electronic service;
4. After purchasing and transferring the technical equipment and software necessary for the digitalisation and provision of electronic services to the institutions participating in the Project, to strengthen the network of the centres of excellence for digitisation in museums (the Lithuanian Art Museum, the Lithuanian Sea Museum, The Šiauliai ‘Aušra' museum, the M. K. Čiurlionis National Museum of Art) and other project partners (the Open-Air Museum of Lithuania, the Department of Cultural Heritage Under the Lithuanian Ministry of Culture, the Institute of the Lithuanian Language) and strengthen the material base, whilst at the same time creating an opportunity to successfully implement the activities of the Project during its execution and continuity;
5. To increase the competence and qualifications of those professionals who use LIMIS at centres of excellence for digitisation in museums, other institutions of Project partners and other museums;
6. To create the new and to upgrade two existing LIMIS integrations with other information systems, create LIMIS integration with the Cultural Heritage Register (CHR), enabling the exchange of digital information regarding digitised values between LIMIS and CHR, and to add new content to the current electronic services offered to the public;
7. To publicise digital content about the values digitised during the Project (63,500 pieces), to implement and use this content in creating new electronic services, to make the content available through the Virtual Electronic Cultural Heritage Information System (VECHIS) www.epaveldas.lt and to submit it to ‘Europeana', www.europeana.eu.
Information about the project, which will run for 36 months. The results of the project will be publicised on information stands, web publications administered by the Lithuanian Art Museum www.limis.lt, www.ldm.lt, on the websites of the project partners and most museums in Lithuania.
The co-financed project has been allocated €4,231,542 from European Union Structural Funds and the budget of the Republic of Lithuania.
Head of the LM ISC LIMIS branch of the Lithuanian Art Museum,
Head of the ‘Virtual Museum' project
Updated on 08/25/20