Lithuanian Integral Museum Information System (LIMIS)
In 2009 the project Installation of the Lithuanian Integral Museum Information System (LIMIS) in Lithuanian museums (hereafter LIMIS project) was initiated. It aims to develop and install LIMIS system that would expand the range of electronic services provided by Lithuanian museums. During the project implementation period (2010-2012) LIMIS system will be installed and made ready to use in four national and 15 state museums. Moreover, it will provide other Lithuanian museums with the opportunity to access and use the system on the internet.
LIMIS is the Lithuanian Integral Museum Information System that would enable to create common digital content of national cultural heritage by digitising information about unique and valuable cultural heritage objects, art and literary works, and information about the most significant historical and social phenomena. It will also make it possible to accumulate and preserve such information, and to present it to the society in the electronic space.
- to join the databases of Lithuanian museums into a common information system;
- to ensure the development and maintenance of the LIMIS electronic catalogue;
- to provide means to digitize exhibits from Lithuanian museums and to develop museums' full text databases;
- to ensure search that would provide information as to where exhibits are being stored, as well as factual and other information.
LIMIS aims to ensure computer-assisted stocktaking of exhibits at Lithuanian museums, the creation, collection, preservation and spread of information about them, as well as its integration into virtual space of cultural heritage.
- to make the stocktaking of Lithuanian museums' holdings automated, to gather and preserve digital information, and to administer it according to homogeneous standards;
- to develop LIMIS electronic catalogue;
- to install functional and multifaceted search of Lithuanian museums' exhibits;
- to ensure that state institutions would obtain data about the exhibits preserved at Lithuanian museums;
- to improve the coordination and management of Lithuanian museums' activities;
- to better provide users with extensive information about the exhibits preserved at Lithuanian museums in a user-friendly digital form;
- to offer an opportunity to use interactive services;
- to integrate information resources of Lithuanian museums into information systems of the museums of the world;
- to present Lithuanian museums' holdings into the virtual space of cultural heritage both on the national and international level.
Objectives of LIMIS project are not limited to the development and installation of the information system in the Lithuanian museums and the ensuring of its technical compatibility with other information systems; it also aims to develop and maintain public access to data about museum exhibits stored in the system as well as to produce and integrate into the system the classifiers, thesauri, and lists of keywords and anthroponyms. The emergence of such system is a vital prerequisite to continuing the development of electronic services in Lithuanian museums, i.e. to expand the supply, improve quality and enhance competencies of museums specialists.
The project Installation of the Lithuanian Integral Museum Information System (LIMIS) in Lithuanian museums is carried out under the measure Nr. VP2-3.1-IVPK-04-V Lithuanian Culture in the Information Society as part of the third priority Information Society for Everybody of the Operational Programme for Economic Growth.
The project is funded from EU funds and the state budget of the Republic of Lithuania.
Project executor – the Lithuanian Art Museum (Bokšto Str. 5, LT-01126 Vilnius).
Project manager – Danutė Mukienė (Tel No.: (+370 5) 261 9670, E-mail: email@example.com)
Start Date: 1 March 2010
End Date: 31 December 2012
LIMIS owner and administrator: the Lithuanian Art Museum.
Updated on 02/04/19