Works of Vytautas Kasiulis
Exhibition of Vytautas Kasiulis‘ works is presented by a new department of the Lithuanian Art Museum - Vytautas Kasiulis Art Museum, established at the historical Residence of the Vilnius Society of Friends of Science.
The neoclassical residence of the early 20th century in Joachimas Lelevelis street, near the Green Bridge, was built for the funds donated by the main founder, the landowner of Baltoji Vokė Hilary Lenski, as well as other sponsors. The construction works began in 1910, but the building was finally completed only in 1929. The authors of the project - the engineers Henryk Wojnicki and Jan Trojan. By the effort of the intellectuals of Vilnius region, the building became a multifunctional centre of culture and education: it housed the Society's archive, a library, a museum, hosted meetings of the Society's members and public events. The Vilnius Society of Friends of Science functioned up until the Second World War.
During 1949-1980 the building belonged to an institution of soviet propaganda – the Museum of the LSSR Revolution. In 1981 the residence has been transferred to the Lithuanian Art Museum and hosted themed and solo exhibitions, as well as the Gallery of Soviet Lithuanian Art. In 1991 it was equipped with painting, sculpture and graphic art storage facilities, while in the recent years - restoration workshops as well.
Having received funds from the European Union Operational Programme for Promotion of Cohesion, as well as the budget of the Republic of Lithuania, in 2012 the building of the Vilnius Society of Friends of Science was reconstructed and modernized, adapting it to contemporary needs of the museum. Currently this residence houses the permanent display of the works of the artist Vytautas Kasiulis, exhibition halls, conference and events centre and hosts music events. The museum also hosts exhibitions of other famous émigrée artists' works.
The primary mission of the museum is to preserve and exhibit the creative legacy of the artist Vytautas Kasiulis, which was bequeathed to Lithuania by his widow Bronė Kasiulienė through their son Vytautas Kasiulis junior in 2010. The collection consists of 950 works and the artist's personal archive.
We invite You to become familiar with the works of the prominent Lithuanian artist of the 20th century Vytautas Kasiulis.